Friday, September 26, 2008

Mr. Barklie B

Today was a very sad day for me. I had to make the decision of letting Barklie go. It was hard. I took him to the vet to have him evaluated to make my "feeling" a reality. Sigh ... she said he had a really bad heart murmur, fluid in his lungs, cataracts, bad hips, and too many cysts on his body to count. She was surprised he had not had heart failure but guessed it would be coming in the near future.
So, of course she tells me it is my decision to make. So here came the feelings of what do I do? Do I really want this to happen? Tears, the shakes, weak knees, and a knot in my throat that made it really hard to swallow. She said she could recommend some medications that could prolong his life, however, he would probably have heart failure within a year. I knew Lee wouldn't go for the medications. Deep breath. So, I asked her to go ahead and do it.
So she gets her syringe and in about 30 seconds ... he was gone. What an odd feeling. I had just ended the one true relationship of loyalty and trust that has been with me for almost 13 years. I wanted to be like one of those obnoxious little kids on cartoons and throw my head back, open my mouth and yell "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" But I didn't. I shed a lot of quiet tears, gave him hugs and kisses and left him behind. It was hard to leave.
He is going to be cremated and buried in our back yard. I'm sure he will be the first of many that will be laid to rest out back. I already miss the little guy. I'll let everyone know when the burial service will be. Just kidding. I know some of you could care less ... and I know that some of you will miss him, too. He was a good boy. Mischievious ... but good.

Mr. Barklie B

November 18, 1995 - September 25, 2008

My shadow is gone.

2 comments:

Ann said...

We miss you Barklie! Lori, I know how hard that was for you. You are in our prayers. We love you!

jodi said...

We had a black lab - Nikki - for almost 12 years...same scenerio at the vet. She had cancer in her leg. My heart goes out to you. Pets become a part of us....as our best companions. Wishing you better days ahead.