Wednesday, August 13, 2008

First Day of School

Today was the day ... the first day of school. It got off to a great start. The kids got up nicely, ate breakfast and were dressed in a rather timely manner. Kamdyn even cooperated and slept a little later than normal. We were in town and to church on time!

This year school was started by having an 8am mass - with all students, staff, and the choir. Some parents and members of the church were also there. I think it was the perfect way to start the year. Mrs. Potter (the principal) had K - 2nd sit on the steps up front while she read a story. I think they all really enjoyed it. She will be a wonderful principal.
While the big kids were at school, Kamdyn and I went for a walk across town. It was very nice and peaceful. No bickering! And Kamdyn took a long nap. While walking I thought about all the stuff I will get done while the big kids are gone for 7 hours a day. Wow ... 7 hours a day! 35 hours a week. I better get busy!

Rylin was very excited for school to start. He wanted his backpack on the whole time in church. He kept asking, "Is it time to go to my room yet?" I was so pleased that he was eager to go. Last year was not a very pleasant start. I remember Mrs. Kinkade pulling him off of me on several occasions. But he got better as the days went on. Today he was very proud to go to Kindergarten! And I was proud of him. The picture below is of him running to me after school.

Addisen was happy to be at school, too. Although she wanted me to sit with Rylin and his class. She said she would be just fine with her class, gave me a kiss and off I went. Good girl! As she walks up to me in the photo below I wasn't sure what to expect. She said she had a good day but, she was hungry and tired.

Rylin loves his new school shoes. He said they were cool. I think so, too!

So, our school day went well. How was yours?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Addisen and Rylin on your first day of school!

jodi said...

Do you think you could drop Avery off at school tomorrow? You seemed to have great luck at school - I don't see that happening with us tomorrow! UGH. any suggestions?
I think he has watched too much Wizard of Oz (There's no place like home) HA HA

Lori said...

Last year was a hard start for Rylin. I left him crying a lot. It was hard, but you gotta do it. My dad ended up promising a gift if he went two weeks without crying when we took him to school. Two weeks passed and grandpa brought Rylin a truck and horse trailer. It went very well after that! So my suggestion ... bribery. I think you are on the right track by telling him to learn things to teach his brother. It makes him feel important! And he is! Keep your head up, it will work out!